Sunday, July 25, 2010

A short story written for a friend.

The sunlight is filtering in through the blinds. I really have to remind myself to replace them with proper curtains, possibly light blue ones that match the sky. I tell myself that every time I toss over and open my eyes. The moment I do, the morning sun blinds me for a few seconds. Its half past 6 in the morning, a Monday morning to be precise. Another long work day lying in wait for me.

I’m only due at the office at 8 o’clock sharp so I might as well lie in bed for a longer while.

I close my eyes and cock my head, listening to the sounds downstairs. I can hear mother talking to dad about something about yesterday’s news and I can hear the water boiling on the stove, the kettle whistling non-stop until mother frees herself from the other chores to turn the fire off. And of course, I can hear my younger brother, Alexander singing Katy Perry’s Hold and Cold on the top of his lungs in the shower which is starting to get on my nerves.

So I get out of bed and head straight top the bathroom.

‘Alexander!’ I yell. ‘Stop the racket or you’ll have to walk to school!’

It’s really a bonus to have a driver’s license, that way I can threaten my brother every time I need something done. Then, Alexander steps out of the bathroom, clad in only a towel and dashes off to his room, situated next to mine, without even a simple ‘Good morning’ greeting. Oh well, he’s in that awkward hormone teenage stage, I shrug as I enter the stuffy bathroom.

The mirror is foggy but it’ll clear up in a moment. Instinctively, I draw a smiley face on it. Of course the next thing I do need not to be explained in detail as every one is familiar with its procedures. After showering, shaving and emptying my bowel, what? I’m a normal human being too! As I was saying, I return to my den, the clock on my table shows its just 15 minutes to 7. Plenty of time left to organize myself for work.

I stare at myself in the mirror. I see the guy in the mirror smile awkwardly at me. He is clean shaven, has bushy eyebrows, eyes that sparkle with humor, a slightly upturned nose and thin lips that are always curling into a smile.

I’m a normal 24 year-old-fresh graduate who unfortunately has a few confidence issues.

My mum smiles at me the moment I step into the kitchen. I love her smile; it brightens up my day, literally. She’s always been by my side, accompanying me no matter what I do even when I decided to pursue my dreams in architecture.

My dad is over at the kitchen table eating his normal bread and eggs breakfast topped with a mug of freshly brewed coffee. He’s always been my idol in life. Dad runs a small business selling fruits but that’s not what I mean, I have always looked up to him. Dad is a people person and has a good way with words, he’s always so confident but I lack that kind of confidence in me.

Anyway, I’m always happy to wake up in the morning and be part of this peaceful scene. But that won’t last for long since I have to go to work.

Its 7:45 o’clock in the morning, I’ve already dropped my brother of to school and I’m on my way to the company. The moment I step into the building a blast of cold air greets me. I smile at the old Indian security guard and head to the elevator. I adjust my tie and shirt, wanting to look my best and not get picked at by the boss again. There’s a weird rule saying that every male worker in the company besides the cleaners have to wear a tie to work and it must not be removed until afternoon. That’s the one rule I detest.

As the metal doors slide open, I step out and I reach the main office. I retrieve my punch card and wince at my geeky photo on it again. After marking my attendance, I make my way to my small cubicle on the 4th floor.

When I started working here a few months ago, I was assigned as an assistant architect but instead after several weeks I realized the work I was doing was in fact a clerk’s job and all I ever did was filling, photocopying stacks of documents, typing letters, checking e-mails and last but not least brewing coffee for everyone in my department. Everything here is a disaster, but I’ve never had the courage to speak up for myself and tell the boss about my current situation, all I ever do is sit and pray that I don’t mess things up or that I don’t get picked on by the head of the department or my other colleagues.

A senior once told me, being a newbie is hard work but I never expected it to be so horrible. How can anyone stand sitting in a cubicle all day with barely enough space to stretch your arms, typing endless documents and standing next to the photocopy machine all day?

But secretly, I’ve been coming up with designs on my own, drafts of my dream house or an office or even ways for my department to look less dull. I can’t help but think that one day, I’ll be a successful and the world’s famous architect or at least Malaysia’s. But it seems like I will have a long way to go if my dream is to come true.

I can’t just close my eyes and just wish upon a star and hope that a fairy tale happens. I know like what my father always tells me that I’ll have to work hard for it and do my best at everything. Learn from your mistakes, son, he’ll always say.

Just you wait and see, I’ll make my own dream come true!

1 comment:

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.